Second Harvest Food Bank Multi-Year Strategic Plan
March 14, 2016
WSS Works With Second Harvest Food Bank to Craft Multi-Year Strategic Plan
March 14, 2016 – The Board of Directors and Management of Second Harvest Food Bank of East Central Indiana (SHFB) recently engaged Whitinger Strategic Services (WSS) to provide facilitation and planning assistance with the goal of creating a strategic plan for the organization.
Through the strategic planning process, the WSS team helped SHFB evaluate their programs and the value they add to those they serve through internal discussion groups, extensive surveys with internal and external stakeholders, and industry research. This approach resulted in a refined Vision, Mission, and Purpose, as well as a better interpretation of the services they provide. With this enhanced clarity, the value of the organization can be more easily communicated resulting in greater understanding and support.
This investment of time on behalf of the staff and board of directors resulted in an honest evaluation of Second Harvest’s internal strengths and weaknesses as an organization, as well as the external opportunities and threats present in the market today. This balanced approach was invaluable in setting strategic objectives that are both challenging, yet achievable. More specifically, they were seeking to define where the organization stood regarding capacity, market presence and overall effectiveness in serving their clients. Together, we helped the client establish five overriding strategic areas of focus including:
- Identify the geographic areas of greatest need in our service area and work to bring solutions
- Evaluate and enhance our current distribution model to ensure food gets to people who need it where they need it
- Develop a comprehensive resource development plan that ensures the continued relevance and sustainability of the organization
- Engage and partner with individuals and organizations within East Central Indiana to find solutions to hunger related issues
- Improve the awareness of Second Harvest Food Bank and its family of services with targeted audiences, for the purpose of building partnerships and garnering support
To ensure that our client can monitor their progress and connect daily activities in the coming few years to the high-level objectives in the plan, we provided them with a model for an annual operating plan. This document outlines a complete set of intermediate strategies and actionable tasks that are necessary to reach their goals in each focus area.
“Second Harvest Food Bank serves thousands of individuals and families throughout their eight-county footprint in Indiana. Their passion and commitment really came through as we worked through this plan,” stated Whitinger Strategic Services Managing Director, Richard Crist. “Our team is proud to assist them as they seek to serve their current and future clients, engage their communities and create maximum impact on the issues of hunger and food insecurity in East Central Indiana.”