Strategies for Communicating When You’re Open
Whitinger Strategic Services and the Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce have partnered to help the local business community successfully re-open their businesses and welcome back customers by developing an “Open for Business” campaign. As part of this campaign, we’ve developed strategies for communicating with clients and customers.
Update your hours everywhere online that they’re posted.
On Your Website.
Contact your website administrator to make this change.
- Log into your Google My Business at Google.com/business
- Go to Info, then click Special Hours.
- Click “Add new date” to choose the dates.
- Add the special hours your business plans on being open or closed.
- Click apply.
On Facebook (and other social media).
- Head to the About page on your business page.
- Click on Hours.
- Here, you can add business hours, let customers know if you’re only open during certain hours, or add any permanent closures.
- Click Save.
- Log into Yelp for Business or the Yelp for Business app.
- Go to Business Information and select Special Hours where you’ll have the option to mark your business as closed or open during a window of time.
On OpenTable (or any other reservation, delivery, or third-party websites).
- Tap the Admin button in the side navigation bar.
- In the Admin menu, tap the Floor Layouts, Sheets, Schedules button.
- Tap the schedules tab at the top and make your updates.
Utilize additional communication tools on your social media platforms.
Set up notifications so you know when someone contacts you through a message and respond as quickly as possible. You can also set auto-reply messaging on some platforms such as Facebook, and include answers to Frequently Asked Questions such as whether you’re open and what preventive measures you’re taking.
Post updates more frequently with what your business is offering, if you have any restrictions that visitors should consider and to reiterate that you’re open for business. Facebook has an option to specifically mark a post as a COVID-19 Update. Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter also offer the option to “pin” important posts, and we recommend doing that only with your most current and up-to-date information.
Reach out to your community:
Look for community pages that are highlighting establishments that are open for business and post your information there.
Reach out to your followers:
You can begin selling gift cards or create an online store, request volunteers or supplies, or create a fundraiser for your business. You can also post updates and express gratitude to those who have already supported you.
Send an ‘open for business’ message to your email list.
- If you use a digital electronic newsletter system like Mailchimp or Constant Contact, send a message to your customers letting them know your availability for business.
- Be sure to let customers know if they can expect any differences in their experience when visiting your business.
Utilize this free media kit that includes signage to download and print in various sizes, as well as social media graphics for multiple platforms.
The Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce & Whitinger Strategic Services have partnered to create graphics for you to print and use! Display these on your doors, front entries, or windows. We also suggest signage that clearly states your business hours, particularly if your hours are different than usual right now. Visit whitingerstrategicservices.com/OpenForBusiness to download the media kit!